The Forbidden City contains more than nine hundred surviving buildings dating back to the fifteenth century, when Emperor Zhu Di moved the capital of the Ming Dynasty and began construction of this opulent palace. From about 1429 until 1912, the Forbidden City was the center of government and politics for all of Imperial China. Since the eviction of Puyi, the last emperor, the complex has been more of a cultural and artistic depository, with much of its space given over to museums, gardens, and other tourist attractions.
There are two main sections which make up the Forbidden City, the Inner Court at the north end and the Outer Court to the south. The complex is surrounded by a high wall, which allows access through one of four gates. The Meridian gate leads to the outer court, which was used for ceremonial purposes and special events. The Gate of Divine Might opens directly onto the inner court, which was the location of the imperial residences and everyday governmental workings. The other two gates are called the East and West Glorious Gates.